Thursday, March 25, 2010

Blueberry Muffins


The grocery store had really beautiful, plump blueberries on sale this week, so I bought 3 cartons. The kids and I both love blueberries, well berries of any sort really and these little beauties were gobbled up pretty quickly. I did however manage to save about one cup to use for baking.

I decided muffins would be good to make b/c the kids could have them for breakfast and for an after school snack. Plus, my daughter would think they were cupcakes (which she pronounces as "k-cups") and really love them. So, I started looking up recipes and ran across this one from FakeGinger (via Tastespotting *). I liked that these muffins were easy to make and that they yielded a small batch. I got 9 muffins out of this batter which was perfect for my small family.

In Amanda's post (FakeGinger), she said the muffins were a bit dense and thought that swapping out some of the all-purpose flour for cake flour might lighten them up a bit. I took her recoomendation and swapped out half a cup and this seemed to fix the problem. My muffins came out the perfect texture. They are light but substantial and not overly sweet. The crumb/struesal topping is great on these and I made half a batch with it and half with out. The recipe below, includes the changes that I made.

*You can check me out on Tastespotting by clicking HERE.

With and without crumb topping...yummy both ways.


Ingredients:

Blueberry Muffin
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. milk
1 cup fresh blueberries

Crumb Topping
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

Combine all purpose and cake flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. In another bowl combine vegetable oil, egg and milk. Add oil mixture to the flour and stir till combined. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 of the way, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture if using.

To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.

Source: Adapted from FakeGinger, originally from Allrecipes

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you tried them with the cake flour! I'm going to have to do it now. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! Thanks for sharing - can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete